Of course, there are many events to enjoy in the vicinity of De Gulden Stroom, especially in summer. We have listed some of them below.
- Sunday Opening: Every last Sunday of the month in Vlissingen.
- Viering Vlissings Verzet 1572: On 19 April, the revolt of Vlissingen against Spanish rule during the Eighty Years’ War is commemorated. The event takes place on De Ruyterplein square, the Nieuwendijk and at Bellamy Park.
- Easter Market Vlissingen: Every year on Easter Sunday there is market fair on the boulevard of Vlissingen with 150 stalls selling a wide variety of gifts, goods and produce, and market vendors shouting loud to get attention of buyers.
- King’s Day Vlissingen: National holiday on 27 April known for its nationwide flea market during which the Dutch sell their second-hand items. In Vlissingen, the flea market will be held in the city centre from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. A variety of children’s activities will also be organised.
- Liberation Day Festival Zeeland: Free festival with a wide variety of entertainment and events taking place on 5 May at venues throughout Vlissingen. This year’s theme is ‘Vrijheid spreek je af’ (Freedom is an agreement).
- Open Harbour Day: Unique event in May during which the doors to the harbour in Vlissingen are opened to the public and visitors are invited to learn a lot of interesting facts about the port.
- De Ruyter Fair: Annual fair held on the Friday following Ascension Day in Vlissingen’s city centre, with market stalls representing various sectors.
- Whit Market Vlissingen: Annual market fair held on Whit Sunday on the boulevard of Vlissingen, with 150 stalls selling a wide variety of gifts, goods and produce, and market vendors (amongst whom the Dutch champion) praising their items to bystanders.
- Festival Onderstroom: Zeeland’s ultimate summer festival held in July, featuring spectacular summer concerts and theatre performances for young and old alike.
- Funfair: With around 40 rides and attractions, the Vlissingen funfair is one of the biggest in Zeeland. Held in the last week of July, it attracts some 100,000 visitors each year.
- Summer Boulevard Market: 22 July 2018.
- Night Market Vlissingen: Annual market held on the first Friday in August.
- Summer Boulevard Market: August 2018.
- Vlissingen Maritiem: Annual maritime festival with tall ships and hundreds of other ships.
- Beach cross: Motorcross event that takes place at Vlissingen’s bathing beach.
- Film by the Sea: 7 September until 16 September 2018.
- Whiskey by the Sea: 21 and 22 September.
- Rescue Vlissingen: Spectacular rescue event that takes place every two years with demonstrations and shows.
- Arrival of Sinterklaas: Saturday in November in the Koopmanshaven.
- Funfair: Annual funfair in the first week of August with a huge fireworks display on the final night.
- International Jazz Festival: An unmissable event for jazz lovers and fans of music in general, held at the Abdijplein square in Middelburg in May.
- Street Fair: Bustling street fair held in May, with stalls selling local produce on Markt square and the Langeviele.
- De Mosselfeesten: Mussel festival devoted to celebrating the arrival of the fresh black mussels. The festival takes place around Vlasmarkt square, Koorkerkplein square and Damplein square, with live music and restaurants offering this regional speciality and other delicious seafood dishes.
- City of Dance: This spectacular outdoor dance festival is held in July and is the successful successor of Middelburg’s famous Dance Parade.
- Zeeland Nazomer Festival: Late summer festival held in August/September at Abdijplein square, presenting a host of performances and shows that appeal to a wide audience.
- Dragon Boat Race Festival: Rowing competition with teams coming together to race against each other in a series of heats.
- Folklore Days: A colourful summer festival in July held at the Abdijplein square and the Middelburg city centre, featuring traditional rural sports such as ‘ringrijden’ (tilting at the ring), in which participants have to try and thread a very small ring on the end of their lance while ride bareback around a circular track, and ‘sjezenrijden’, which is a lot like tilting at the ring, but rather than riding bareback the participants are pulled along in a cart dressed in traditional costume.
Folklore Day in Zoutelande: Street fair with demonstrations of ancient crafts such as lace making, basket weaving, net mending and candlemaking as well as tilting at the ring competitions with plough horses.
- Beach Volleyball Tournament: Annual beach volleyball tournament held at the Westerstrand beach, near beach pavilion De Branding.
- Marathon Zeeland: Held in the first weekend of October, this running event welcomes nearly 4,000 athletes of different disciplines. The marathon consists of a ladies run, MTB tour, mini marathon, coast marathon and a trail hiking marathon. It’s a huge local event with plenty of fun along the route. The finish is in Zoutelande
- Funfair in Domburg: Annual funfair at the end of June in the centre of Domburg. During the event visitors are introduced to ‘gaaischieten’ (jay shooting), a traditional Walcheren bird shooting game in which contestants try to shoot a wooden block of wood (the jay) from a high pole with an ancient rifle.
- Tilting at the ring: Folkloric tradition in which participants have to try and thread a very small ring on the end of their lance while ride bareback around a circular track. In summer various tilting at the ring competitions are held at the market square in the centre of town.
- For more information, visit www.vvvzeeland.nl/nl/evenementen
- Breskens Fishing Festival: Largest festival of Zeeland, held in August. A must-visit event with famous artists, fairs, a street fair, a funfair and much more entertainment!
- Meerminnefeesten: Three-day festival starting in July with radio 538 DJs on tour, a flea market, tractor pulling race, the Twilight Roadshow, DJ Ed van Dijk, cover band That’s It!, a cycling tour, classic tractors and farming equipment, a tilting at the ring competition on tractors, and Flemish games.
- Terneuzen Harbour Festival: Three-day festival in June featuring an exiting line-up of well-known artists.
- Scheldejazz: Terneuzen is the jazz city on the Scheldt. Every year in May this multiple-day jazz festival erupts with an explosion of jazz performances.
- Evening markets: One the biggest events in the region, with a market fair, cosy terraces, live music and entertainment galore.
- Domburg: every Monday
- Oostkapelle: every Thursday
- Vrouwenpolder: every Wednesday
- Zoutelande: every Tuesday